Monday, October 3, 2011

Grannie the Great

And then there were none... My mom's mom past away this past week. We were really almost relieved to have her go. I only say that because she has been alone for so long, and her health was not too good. I, of course, miss her; but this was for the best. At her funeral I was able to play a flute solo. I think she would have liked it.

Things I'll always remember about Gran...

1. Bushel and a Peck. She sang me that song as a kid. Hence my blog name.
2. If you want to get pregnant, stand on you head. (she didn't understand why I couldn't have kids.)
3. How easy it was to make her dry heave. I always got a kick out of that.
4. She never forgot to tell me how much like her sister Josephine I am.
5. She loved her mission to South Africa
6. One time I dyed my hair dark. She told me she didn't like it at all. I looked like "a Mexican." Later she felt so bad that she apologized about it. She told me that she didn't want to be remembered as the Grannie that said negative things. Then she picked up and put on a boxing glove and punched me in the head. She insisted that I fight her. When I wouldn't hit her back she punched me in the head again! Funniest day EVER!!!
7. She Hate, Hate, HATED cats! They'll give you polio you know!!
8. She loved the color purple.
9. She loved to write. She was a teacher. She also loved to read.
10. She always stayed so happy and positive. Even after fighting breast cancer, having both knees replaced, and losing her memory, she never was negative. She was a real example of how to keep a good outlook on life!

I love you Grannie! I'm so glad you are finally with Grandpa! I look forward to seeing them again... although not too soon.

Gloria (Redford Boudrero) Cook (1924 - 2011)

| Visit Guest Book

Gloria Redford
Boudrero Cook
Gloria Redford Boudrero Cook, our sweet mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister, aunt and friend, returned to her Heavenly Father on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011, surrounded by her loving family. Gloria was born July 19, 1924, in Logan, Utah, the oldest daughter of Louis David and Elva Lloyd Redford Boudrero.
Gloria was raised and received her early education in Logan schools, graduating from Logan High and receiving a bachelor's degree from Utah State University. Gloria was introduced to Verl W. Cook while teaching at Syracuse Elementary. Gloria and Verl were married Dec. 29, 1948, in the Logan LDS Temple.
Gloria loved teaching children; she taught elementary school in Malad, Idaho, and Syracuse and Pleasant View in Utah.
Gloria was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, serving in Primary, Young Women's and Relief Society. Gloria was a member of the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers. She and Vero served a mission to Johannesburg, South Africa. Gloria's life was a living example of Christlike charity and love; caring for her mother, siblings, children, extended family and friends.
Gloria is survived by her children, Verlene (David) Cole of Willard, Scott (Rose Marie) of Ogden, Kyle (Holly) of Payson, Carol (Steve) Keitel of Fruit Heights and Sally (Mark) Zollinger of South Jordan. Her legacy includes 30 grandchildren, one of which is serving mission and one who is on active military duty at this time; and 54 great-grandchildren with two more on the way.
Gloria was preceded in death by her husband, Verl W. Cook; grandsons, Louis Patrick Cole and Darren Todd Cook; and her parents and siblings, Blaine Boudrero, Robert Boudrero, Ida Ellis, Josephine Fletcher and Roma Packer.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Sept. 30, at the Logan 4th Ward chapel, 294 N. 100 East, Logan, Utah. A viewing will be held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. prior to the funeral. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Perpetual Education Fund.
Special thanks to the staff at Emeritus Estates and Hospice for Utah for their loving care

3 comments:

Unknown said...

She sounds like an amazing and very funny person. That's great that you were able to get to know her so well.

Karen said...

What an amazing Lady! I'm sorry for your loss, death is never easy. Keep a hold of those memories they are wonderful!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you were able to play your flute at her funeral. I remember talking with you about how important that was to you. You and your sisters look beautiful.