Friday, September 9, 2011

First Day of School


We decided to do preschool this year. It's not the pre-K class, but it's a class for three year old kids to prepare for the Pre-K class when they turn four. Ryan needed something to be her own thing and we decided rather than her learn to dance, sing, or play a sport we would develop her learning in the class room. Any how, Ryan did much better than I anticipated. I thought she might cry and freak out a little when I dropped her off, but there was none of that. Earlier that morning she sounded a little nervous, she just wanted to hear that her school was going to be a lot like her nursery class at church. Later, on our way to school she sounded nervous again. She asked me: "mom, this is going to be like my class (meaning church class) right?" I told her that it was just like it. You get to do singing time, and have a treat, and listen to a lesson, and have a play time. To this she replied: "And color a picture?" After I told her that she would get to do that, she was all on board!

When I took her into the preschool she was one of the first kids there. I gave her a hug and then turned to leave. I got a few steps down the hall when she sounded really worried. She wanted another hug and a kiss. So I gave her a hug--she hugged me as if it were her last hug she'd ever get from me. Then I told her that she was not allowed to have TOO much fun. "You listen to me Ryan, you are only allowed to have a little bit of fun. If you have too much fun I'm going to have to get you into big trouble. Understand." She of course smiled at my teasing and told me that she was going to have "This much fun." Then she held her hands as far apart as she could. Ryan let me know that she was going to have the most fun... a lot of fun. I proceeded to tease her that if she did I would have to get her into BIG trouble. The teacher, Mrs. Balls, laughed and assured Ryan that she would only have a little bit of fun, and that was only if she tried really really hard. Then I left. No more trouble after that. What a big girl. She stayed the entire time and had fun. She even got to paint a picture of an apple. She also did a show and tell of her camera and took a picture of the class. Although the picture is mostly just of the teachers face and one kid in the background.

Sweet girl, I'm so proud of you!

By the way, Ryan loved the backpack she got when she went shopping with her Nana! Thanks Lynn!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

What a sweet moment! So cute! I love that little girl! And I am glad she likes preschool.